Wednesday, July 6, 2016

S’well – Bringing S’exy Back to Water Bottles

So I recently caved in and bought a S’well bottle.

My wife bought one back in March and has been raving about it ever since.* It was only a matter of time before she finally convinced me to get one of my own. So I did. Below is a picture of my S’well bottle in all of its 25oz. of Onyx stainless steel glory.


Now, I’m no expert on the reusable water bottle market, but this picture that I took on a recent outing with my wife to TJ Maxx leads me to believe that it’s – pun ahead – flooded.




A 17 oz. S’well bottle retails for $35.00, and if you’re really thirsty, 25 oz. for $45.00. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives for those who want to stay hydrated, so what explains the ever-increasing popularity of S’well bottles? Is it the ability to keep cold liquids cold for 24 hours and hot liquids hot for 12 hours via a double-insulated stainless steel body? It’s a nice feature, but there are other brands that do the same. Several strategic business partnerships, including one with Starbucks, have certainly helped launch S’well into the national spotlight.

Probably the most succinct explanation for the success of S’well comes from its CEO and founder, Sarah Kauss, who shared her inspiration for the brand in a recent Business Insider article.

“I just thought the world needed a more fashionable water bottle,” said Kauss.

S’well bottles are available in more than 200 colors and designs so there is something for everyone, including myself who wanted a S’well that was rugged and masculine looking. I carry my S’well around with me virtually everywhere, and I have to say that I’ve never received so many questions or comments about something I owned. Same goes for my wife who carries her S’well virtually everywhere as well.

We went to an Indian buffet over 4th of July weekend and towards the end of our meal the waitress said to my wife, “That’s a really unique looking bottle!”

My wife, never one to miss an opportunity to plug something she enjoys (she works in marketing, too) responded, “ Thank you! It’s a S’well bottle. You can find them at Pink Saloon in town, but I bought this online. They’re really great!”

“Yeah, I really like the wood grain look you have for yours. I looked at it and was like ‘That’s a really cool looking bottle.’ Does it come in a larger size, though?”

“Oh yeah! This one is only 17 ounces but you can buy one that’s 25 ounces, too, online.”

“Oh good. Yeah, I drink a lot of water. About a gallon a day!”

My wife and the waitress both laugh, and then we paid for our meal. After we left the buffet it dawned on me, “My wife promoted the brand just by talking to that waitress about her S’well bottle…”


It’s one thing to do promotional marketing for your product, but to have other people do it for you? That, my friends, is genius.

*My wife has bought two more S'well bottles since March. She now has a grand total of three S'well bottles and is considering purchasing two more in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment